Some Prominent People
Barlow, John. 1833-1903 [merchant] mayor
Bierbauer, Henry [brewer] mayor, hardware store owner, roller mill operator, businessman; married to Barbara Fauerbach
DeLapp, William (Singing Bill) 1870-1960. Sang in many places to help his parents buy food. After Bill married, he and his wife traveled performing with this family. They were a huge hit wherever they went. He played in many places including county fairs, Ringling Brothers Theatre, the state’s 50th year’s celebration in Madison, Sears Roebuck Radio, WLS Chicago “Hello Wisconsin” is on of the few songs ever written down and saved.
Dunn, Andrew. Early pioneer of New Lisbon
Farley, Andrew. Merchant of meat business with his cousin, Charles H. Farley, in a building which stood where the M&I bank is now located. Within six months the structure burned and they moved across the street. In 1915, Farley was appointed our local postmaster, the market was sold. His parents, John and Mary Ann Farley, were among the first settlers of the town of Clearfield.
Hoyt, Dr. R. W. [physician]
Hughes, J. J. [attorney] native of Wales, born 1941. Emigrated with his parents to the U.S. in 1856. He married Nettie Beebe in 1873.
Hurd, F.E. [merchant] born in Ohio in 1847 and moved to New Lisbon at nine years of age. Graduated from New Lisbon High School. Joined as business partners C.D. Curtis and engaged in general mercantile business under the firm name of Curtis & Hurd.
LaSarge, Peter. [barber] born in 1844 in Canada. Moved to New Lisbon in 1867 to practice trade of shoemaker. In 1867, he learned the barber’s trade and began barbershop here. He married Gertie Carr, daughter of W. P. Carr of New Lisbon
Macomber, W. D. [banker] born in Juneau County in 1859; graduated New Lisbon High School. Worked in American Express office at New Lisbon until 1880. Moved away fro a number of years and eventually returned to act as cashier for the Farmers & Merchants Bank
McKay, William. [Justice of the Peace][One of the oldest settlers of New Lisbon. Native of Ireland, born 1823. Served in the Civil War until its end. Returned to New Lisbon to work as joiner until 1881. Later engaged in restaurant business and attending to the office of Justice of the Peace
Mills, D. H. [harness maker] Foreman of Charles Smith’s livery in harness department.
Mortensen, H. J. [attorney] One of the most generous and civic-minded citizens, son of Mr. And Mrs. Hans Mortensen. Engaged in the practice of law in 1902 served as city attorney for 27 years, was district attorney for 6t years. Member of Assembly for 6 years, member of the state annuity board for 8 years, insurance commissioner of Wisconsin for 8 years and president of the New Lisbon State Bank for many years.
Among his many contributions to our community include two fully equipped concrete tennis courts located near the school. He also made the generous donation to build the public library.
Newell, John R. [proprietor of Crosby House] This jovial and accommodating landlord was born in 1851. Arrived in New Lisbon in 1874 and married Miss Della Crosby. He served as clerk of the Crosby House one year, after which he had the management of the house. The Crosby House has a good reputation throughout the state for it is the place where travelers find the table well supplied with all the market affords and all parts of the house neat and tidy.
Robison, C. E. native of this area and son of Mr. And Mrs. A. V. Robison, prominent early New Lisbon settlers. Engaged in the hardware business in 1907, member of city council for 21 years, mayor from 1935-1946. It was during his administration as mayor that diesel engines were installed in the electric generating plant, a concrete dam constructed across the Lemonweir River, and modern fire fighting equipment purchase. He served as chief of the local fire department for many years.
Runkel, Philip [merchant] Native of Germany and emigrated to the U.S. in 1849. He learned the carriage trade. He had a grocery business in the early New Lisbon days. He dealt extensively in cranberries, shipping about 1,000 barrels per year being the principal ship of New Lisbon
Sage, E. C. [first president of village] merchant
Salter, George “Daddy” 1826-
He left for America in 1863. His wife soon died after coming over and he then married Amma Caucutt. George operated a liquor store and was known for trading with the Indians at a time when noone else would. One day while George was away, Indians came looking for liquor. When his wife refused to sell to them, the Indians in the town of Clearfield murdered her on July 13, 1863. The murder weapon was an axe. In reprisal Daddy used the same axe to kill the Indians. It is believed he then beheaded his wife’s killers and placed their heads by the road to warn off others.
A year later he married his wife’s sister. Daddy’s house and tavern, Hell’s Delight, was located on Highway 80. Gus Nooney placed a concrete slab on the knoll where this tavern flourished as long as the stagecoach operated between New Lisbon and Necedah.
Sargent, Will 1870-1953 [jeweler/watchmaker] city clerk, supervisor on county board. Often walked 20 miles a day assisting his father on land surveys in early life
Sinclair, G. A. [dentist] Native of Scotland born in 1853. Learned the cabinet trade first, and then turned his attention to dentistry where he opened a practice in New Lisbon. His dental office still stands next to Automotive Specialist’s.
Smith, Charles [shoemaker] Native of Germany, born in 1825, came to New Lisbon in 1857, which at the time only had ten dwellings. Here he worked at his trade, also dealing in boots and shoes until 1864, when he enlisted in the 8th Wis. Battalion to serve in the Civil War. Returning to New Lisbon he again resumed his trade and boot and shoe business, to which, in the fall of 1865 he added harnesses
Smith, Richard [attorney] Born 1818, turned studies to law. Became New Lisbon ‘s first attorney and since carried on a general law and collection business
Starnes, Dr. [physician] Began medial practice replacing his father-in-law, Dr. Townsend. The territory that Dr. Starnes covered is almost unbelievable. He had patients in Adams Count, Necedah, Camp Douglas, Clifton, Tomah, Warrens as well as Mauston and Elroy. Dr. Starnes lost his son to the 1918 flue epidemic. New Lisbon would continue to celebrate the work of Dr. Starnes by having a “Dr. Starnes Day’
Townsend, Dr. [physician] – replaced by son-in-law, Dr. Starnes
White, E. 1869-1954 [merchant] Began career in 1892 and continued for 58 years, ill health forced him to relinquish active conduct of his store
Wilkinson [attorney] native of England, born 1853
Willis, Mary. H. (Van Dyke) [musician]. Became famous through her music, which was published and sold throughout the country in music stores. The first published song was called “Eventide”
Wonderly, George [police chief] town lamp lighter, sexton of cemetery, fire chief, street commissioner, shot through the abdomen while attempting to arrest an alleged burglar one night in the old canning factory, conducted meat market for some time and later with his wife, Sarah, kept a restaurant and boarding house